Friday, June 24, 2011

Toffee Nut Bars


I recently purchased some cookbooks from 1939-1945. I LOVE that time period right before, during, and after World War II. I have plans to make & post some of their really exceptional-looking recipes, but today I was making a snack for my kids spur-of-the-moment so I had to deal with the ingredients I had on hand and a short time frame! These bars come from a really torn-up copy of Christmas Cookies by Wisconsin Gas & Electric Company. It seems that this utility company made a Christmas cookbook to send to its customers every year.

Toffee Nut Bars
Bottom Layer
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup bread flour

1. Cream butter. Add brown sugar gradually. Blend thoroughly.
2. Add flour. Mix well.
3. Pat into 7 1/2 x 11 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.

Top Layer
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons bread flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut
1 cup almonds, chopped

1. Beat eggs until light. Add brown sugar, and vanilla. Blend well.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Stir into creamed mixture. Mix until smooth.
3. Add coconut and chopped nuts.
4. Spread evenly over slightly cooled bottom layer.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.
6. When cooled, cut into bars.
7. Make 24 bars.

1st layer ready to be baked

This is the 2nd layer spread over the baked 1st layer

My Notes: This is a simple recipe even if it does have 2 layers...don't be afraid to try it!

I feel badly for anyone who doesn't like nuts (and coconut) and reads this blog because unfortunately for you there are so many vintage recipes that include them! There is the option of leaving nuts out of some recipes, but I think a recipe like this would not be what it was meant to be if you took out the coconut and nuts! 
I used my 9 x 13 pan which is a little bigger than the recipe calls for. I should have cut down the baking time because of this, but I only checked it 3 minutes before the timer went off so they turned out a little more golden than I would have liked. I would check these after 28 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment