Friday, June 24, 2011

Cinnamon Bread


 I have a little collection of vintage cookbooks I find at estate sales. This recipe comes from the Duncan Hines Adventures in Good Cooking--Tested Recipes of Unusual Dishes From America's Favorite Eating Places (Copyright 1951). It was contributed by Mrs. W. B. Taylor of Bowling Green, Kentucky. 


Cinnamon Bread
2 egg whites, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/4 cups cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Mix together the egg whites and milk. In separate bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and egg yolks. Add to the egg white mixture. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to the wet mixture.

Bake in 300 F. oven for 30 minutes. When done pour melted butter over top and sprinkle with mixture of sugar and cinnamon.

My Notes: The recipe name is deceiving...this is more like a coffee cake than a bread, but it is delicious! I poured the batter into an 8x8 pan and ended up baking this for 45 minutes until a toothpick came out clean. I did not use cake flour, I just used all-purpose flour. I already have a mixture of cinnamon and sugar to put on cinnamon toast, so I simply sprinkled that on top of the melted butter after the cake was baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment