Friday, June 24, 2011

Chocolate-Frosted Brownies


This recipe comes from my great-grandmother's original 1950Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book. 


Chocolate-Frosted Brownies
Melt together over hot water...
     2 sq. unsweetened chocolate (2 oz.)
     1/3 cup shortening
Beat in...  
     1 cup sugar
     2 eggs
Sift together and stir in...
     3/4 cup sifted GOLD MEDAL Flour
     1/2 tsp. baking powder
     1/2 tsp. salt
Mix in...
     1/2 cup broken nuts
 Spread in well greased 8" square pan (8x8x2"). Bake until top has dull crust. A slight imprint will be left when top is touched lightly with finger. Cool slightly...then cut into squares.

Temperature: 350 (mod. oven).
Time: Bake 30 to 35 min.
Amount: 16 2" squares.


Marie's Chocolate Icing
Melt over hot water 1 tbsp. butter and 1 sq. unsweetened chocolate (1 oz.). Blend in 1 1/2 tbsp. warm water. Stir and beat in about 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar (until icing will spread easily).



My Notes: The frosting makes the whole brownie! Seriously! I did not melt the chocolate for the brownies over hot water...I just microwaved it with the shortening (I used butter) for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring between heating. I also made sure I beat the eggs before adding them to the warm chocolate so they didn't turn into scrambled eggs. I did not add nuts because my hubby hates them in desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment