Friday, June 24, 2011

Orange Oatmeal Cookies


 This recipe comes from the 1953 edition of The Family Circle Cake & Cooky Cookbook. Notice the spelling of cooky. It seems that cooky was singular and cookies was used for more than one cooky!

Orange Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup sifted flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg, unbeaten
Grated rind of 1 orange
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats

1. Grease cooky sheets.
2. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into sifter; sift into medium-size bowl.
3. Add shortening, egg, and orange rind and juice; beat with wooden spoon until smooth and well blended.
4. Blend in rolled oats (dough will be thick).
5. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls, about 3 inches apart, onto prepared cooky sheets.
6. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
7. Run spatula under cookies; remove to wire cake racks; cool; store in airtight container to keep crisp.


My Notes: These cookies fill your home with a wonderful orange aroma while baking! I did not sift anything...I'm lazy like that :-) I also didn't use a wooden spoon like the recipe said to. I should probably try to do things like people did during the time period of the recipe, but my Kitchen Aid is so much easier! Also, for the orange juice I just squeezed out some juice from the orange after I grated the rind off of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment