Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Old Neon Signs

There once was a vintage neon motel sign. It was tall and skinny and had a curvy arrow. It was the most beautiful turquoise (or was it pistachio?) green. I drove past it at least 2 times a week and admired it each and every time. It sat in front of a car dealership even though it was for a motel...that shows how many decades it had stood there. I knew it was special and always planned on stopping to take a picture. I even had plans to enlarge the picture and display it in my home. But that day never came. One day I drove by and the sign was gone. Well, at least everything but the frame. I was devastated. I don't know if it was vandalized or if the car dealership got tired of it blocking their cars on display, but whatever happened a unique piece of our city's history was destroyed. And boy do I wish I had stopped to take that picture. Or even stopped to ask the car dealership if I could buy it.
Lesson learned: STOP FOR NEON SIGNS! Do you have any fabulous neon signs in your city?

I learned my lesson and captured a historic sign in Lexington, KY. This drive-in is still operating!

No comments:

Post a Comment